Seems your question is way more a generic question about recruiting and less about firing the coach if he doesn’t take this team to the ACCCG.
But since you asked, following are my thoughts from my first post here back in November of 2020 as a basis of where I think college football is and where I think VT is.
• Within the past 60 years, mens football and basketball appear to have moved from being a hybrid of collegiate competition and professional marketing to way more professional marketer.
• Of the 115 or so teams playing Division 1, the overwhelming evidence is that only about 25 of them are relevant, past or present, to the national marketing plan of TV and the NCAA and as a product of that, are the only desired destination for top recruits to play football.
• VT is one of the 90 or so that are not in that 25.
• Those 25 or so teams are pretty much the same teams that were on television way back when the first Game of the Week came on in color.
• In my 60 years of following college football, I can think of only 2 teams that weren’t on television way back then that have crashed the glass ceiling since. One of those, Oregon, got there because of Nike$$$, who owns Oregon and college sports advertising on TV.
• Florida State is the only team to have ever earned a seat at the big table. That was more than 30 years ago.
• There is…