May 7, 2021
In honor of Small Business Week, we will be celebrating and highlighting local small businesses and entrepreneurs throughout the week. Today we are highlighting High Country Market Bistro and GastroPub. Zahir Walji, owner of High Country Market, shares with us the motivation for his business, hurdles he overcame, and other advice for entrepreneurs just starting out.
Describe the concept for your business and what motivated your idea.
In 2012, We were by a large investment house (JP Morgan) to create a “One-Stop Shopping” concept for a residential and retail project in Austin that they were creating and investing in; specifically, it had to had a “high-end”, specialized Retail Convenience Market (as opposed to a convenience store) that encompassed the following:
- convenience store items, but with a better level of use and sophistication (eg. organic sodas and “better” waters as opposed to the run-of-the-mill items offered in a typical convenience store);
- a bistro/diner serving “simple” food made from scratch and sourced locally as best possible;
- catering services to the residents living in the building as well as accessibility to the establishment that surrounding neighborhood can reach and frequent over by either walking or by local public transport;
- a good selection of craft beers, good wines as well as various soft drinks and snacks;
- a small yet decent size place to “hang-out” and spend time visiting other residents and neighbors.
In the test project (in Round…