OPINION: A lot of businesses are looking for helpful ways to use LinkedIn in their marketing.
Spencer X Smith teaches white-collar professionals like lawyers, accountants and bankers how to use social media for business development. Smith is also the co-author of an excellent marketing book called ROTOMA: The ROI of Social Media Top of Mind.
The key to using LinkedIn for business, he says, is to set clear intentions, follow a strategy, and stick to strict time limits.
* Feel like breaking up with Facebook? Maybe it’s time for a social media spring clean
* Join the reely cool universe of Instagram marketing
* The LinkedIn adventures: Honestly, what are people doing on there?
* Cut the buzzwords from your LinkedIn profile
Here are his four tips to making sure you make the most of your efforts on LinkedIn.
1. Set a time limit and stick to it
The key to staying productive on LinkedIn is to set a timer, and try to accomplish as much as possible in that time.
Whether its six minutes, 20 minutes, or some other time allotment, it’s important to associate this work as productive and meaningful.
I recommend 10 minutes a day, because that should be long enough to do whatever you need, and it will motivate you to skip the newsfeed altogether.
Once you’ve made the connection you wanted to make, done the research you needed to do or…